Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry


Does anyone know if homeowners insurance covers damages for flooding caused by negligence? I got home from work and there was water everywhere in the house. Juannie fell asleep in the tub with the water running and flooded four rooms and the hallway of our house. He went to play golf with one of my brothers. He was drunk, sunburned and exhausted when he got home and decided to get into the tub.

I am ready to blow a gasket. He helped shop vac up the bulk of the water while I soaked up what I could with every towel in the house. I ran to the grocery to get a mop with a wringer and when I got home he was dead asleep on the bed. I am still mopping up water that is seeping out from under the baseboards and the flooring.

I've never known what to call the flooring. It's fake Pergo I guess. It looks like light wood. It's not supposed to get wet during cleaning so I have a bad feeling that it may all have to come up and be replaced. I am glad I took pictures because we might need them for the insurance company.

I am exhausted, frustrated and angry. I know Juannie didn't do it on purpose but my patience level right now is not very high. And during the height of the cleanup he kept getting short with me. I managed to maintain my composure for the most part. I teared up a couple times when I kept going from room to room and finding more water. But I didn't lose my cool with him and I REALLY wanted to.

Anyway, I needed to vent. Now back to mopping up the water and I was so looking forward to a relaxing evening.



( 4 comments — Leave a comment )
Jun. 24th, 2005 05:42 pm (UTC)
I'm sorry about your mess. Do you know where your home owners policy is? Be careful calling the ins co. There was an article a year or so ago about people's policies being raised in price because of inquiries into what was covered :/
Jun. 24th, 2005 06:08 pm (UTC)
On another break because my back is starting to bother me. Things may be improving and it seems there's less seeping. I am now slightly hopeful. Thanks for the advice. I put a bunch of stuff in front of the desk where my insurance stuff is so I will dig it out tomorrow.
Jun. 24th, 2005 06:12 pm (UTC)
I remember the article because it annoyed me. It doesn't seem fair the ins. co can raise rates based on inquiry.
Jun. 24th, 2005 07:20 pm (UTC)
I think insurance will probably cover it. When Jim and I lived in Cape Breton, we shared a house with an upstairs neighbour who was hard of hearing. He had the unfortunate habit of letting the kitchen sink fill up and then overflow. One time we heard this terrible noise and we ran into the living room to see that water was actually coming out through the ceiling light! It was all over the wood floor and it soaked the sofa and everything.

He did this at least twice more, if I recall. I think the landlord made a claim on the insurance - and the insurance people paid up but then told them that they would have to install a tap that needed to be held to run water so he couldn't do it anymore or they would cancel the policy. So this "hold only" tap was installed. Our wood floors seemed to be all right. I had to use everything to soak up the water, too.
( 4 comments — Leave a comment )


romance, flower
Fleur de Dee

Latest Month

December 2009
Powered by LiveJournal.com